Stilus for Word
Spelling, grammar and style checker in Spanish
Stilus for Word is an add-in that permits access to Stilus' interactive proofreading functionality and provides additional customization features all within the framework of your favorite word processor. Stilus allows you to detect and correct spelling, typographic, grammatical and stylistic errors directly in any document opened in Word. For the add-in to function properly, it is necessary to introduce your username (e-mail) and password from our mystilus.com portal.
You can use Stilus in demo mode on your own texts for free. To do so, you just need to create an account on the website: the system will assign you a free word balance of 5,000 words/month with no expiration date that can be consumed with all the proofreading modes available (both on the website and through the plug-ins). However, if you need to proofread large amounts of text, you might need to purchase a Stilus Gold or Stilus Platinum annual subscription or a Stilus Sprint pass. For more information, see Plans and prices.
Stilus allows you to check the spelling and style of your texts in Spanish, according to your linguistic preferences:
Stilus improves the quality of your texts
It is an automatic proofreader that checks the spelling, grammar, typography and style of your texts, to reach a high linguistic accuracy.
Stilus benefits from Natural Language Processing technologies, -which consider the lingustic context to detect real errors. For this reason, its results are much more accurate with respect to other spellcheckers based on superficial analysis techniques.
Four levels of proofreading
Stilus not only verifies the spelling and grammar of your texts, but also gives you information about many orthotypographic and stylistic aspects.
Thorough and up-to-date revisions
Stilus stands out for its great lexical coverage, the continuous updating and its strong linguistic rigor. Unlike other automatic proofreaders for Spanish, Stilus checks texts in compliance with the latest changes of the newest manuals published by the Royal Spanish Academy and the Association of Spanish Language Academies.
Stilus suggests, you decide
Unlike other proofreading applications, Stilus does not rewrite your text automatically. The user always has control over the proofreading process of their text.
Stilus has four levels of proofreading:
Stilus recognizes much more vocabulary than any other Spanish spellchecker. It features an extensive lexical database of around 7 million words (of which more than 190 000 of them are proper nouns). Its dictionaries are continuously updated with neologisms (new lexical possibilities); names of people, organizations, countries, etc., which emerge day by day in our contemporary social landscape.
- Its high lexical coverage reduces false alerts on spelling and thus, helps to reduce doubts about the correct spelling of proper nouns.
- As Stilus is context-sensitive, the use of homophone pairs and diacritics can be verified.
- Likewise, Stilus can detect wrong word formations, or foreign words imprecisely adapted into Spanish.
Stilus handles many orthotypographic matters too, for instance:
- It verifies the opening and closing of pairs of symbols (quotation marks, parentheses, brackets…).
- It checks spacing: double spaces, required spaces, or the lack thereof, between typographic signs, words, and so on.
- It detects any punctuation marks in an incorrect sequence.
- It checks the punctuation of abbreviated words and phrases.
- It verifies the use of upper and lowercase letters.
- It advises the use of italics for foreign words.
- Thanks to its disambiguation capacity, Stilus is able to detect a high number of agreement errors at various phrasal levels.
- Other confusing syntactic aspects are also considered, such as disagreement between verbal tenses or errors related to prepositional misuse.
Stilus is an automatic proofreading tool. Therefore, unlike human proofreaders, it cannot verify textual consistency and cohesion thoroughly. However, it does provide hundreds of recommendations from recognized style manuals and language consultation books.
- It gives advice on preferred spelling variants.
- It identifies lexical misuse.
- It offers alternatives to foreign words and expressions.
- Stilus can identify incorrect prepositional or adverbial usage or over-extended sentences that may make a text unclear or difficult to read. It also detects redundant expressions.
- Finally, it recognizes the use of language (or dialectal) variants, technical terms, and different linguistic registers (colloquial words, archaisms, and so on).
- Can read and make changes to your document
- Can send data over the Internet